Trying to find instructions on how to reset the M15w printer to set up a new wifi connection was a nightmare. I eventually managed to piece together a solution with a combination of random forum posts, and a comment on a youtube video.
For future proofing, I’m writing down the instructions here. This is from the perspective as a Linux user, but since it’s all just hardware and networking you can likely do the same on any operating system.
- Reset the printer (Turn off the printer, then press and hold the cancel button while turning it on again. Keep holding the cancel button for ~20 seconds.)
Print a debug page which should contain the default wifi password. Hold the cancel button for ~5 seconds to do this. You’ll find the password under Wifi-Direct Setup -> Wifi Direct Password:
- Or just try
12345678which seems to be a default.
- Or just try
- Using the password you found, connect to the wifi network created by the printer. It will be named something like DIRECT-d9-HP M15 LaserJet.
- Figure out the gateway address to connect to (in my case http://192.168.223.1/, most likely it will be the
.1address of your LAN ip)
- Configure the connection to your regular wifi network from there. Networking tab -> Wireless Configuration.
- Test the new setup by connecting to your regular wifi and connecting via the local IP given to your printer by your router.
- (Optional) Consider disabling Wifi-Direct if you don’t need it, as you should now be able to print directly from your wifi network.